Wednesday, January 30, 2013

decorating a coffee table.

One thing that drives me nuts is when a coffee table is so "tablescaped" that you can't put your coffee down on it.

Pointless.

So, I keep it to one side of the coffee table.  Beautiful collected things arranged in a chic, simple way.


  1. Start with a tray.  I like to use the Format tray from CB2, because it's acrylic and you can see your things through the clear sides.
  2. Try to stick to one color in multiple hues; add one pop of a different color at the end.
  3. Stack gorgeous books.  Fashion books, design books, art books, and architecture books are my faves.  Try to buy the ones that have covers that match your decor.  (Some great, gorgeous books are Tom Ford, Emilio Pucci, and Richard Avedon.)
  4. Stack the books from large to small.
  5. Use pattern.  Along with the pattern-clad Pucci book, I used a ceramic tray from Jonathan Adler ($78) to create a clean yet visually exciting "tabletop" to arrange objects.
  6. Find some sort of pretty vessel like a bowl to place on top.  I found this vintage 1960's Goran brass bowl from Church Hill Antiques in Culver City.  This is my pop of color.
  7. Create a cool spot for remotes.  They never show remotes in design magazines.  Why?  Because they're ugly; that's why.  I found a long box on sale at West Elm where I can stash them, cover them, and always know where they are.
  8. Create dimension.  I created visual interest by using objects with different heights.  Here, I used some agate slice coasters in a fierce tone of teal for the lowest level.  I originally saw them at Jonathan Adler for over $30 each.  I found them for half the price at Lawson-Fenning in Silverlake.  I then used the brass/orange bowl for the next layer, the West Elm long lacquered box, and a DL & Co. trumpet candle in azure to finish it off.  If you wish, add a tall layer by using fresh flowers of the same kind placed in a cup.




No comments:

Post a Comment