Thursday, February 7, 2013

making an old-ass shower look new.

I moved into this charming brick 1920's apartment above the shops in East Hollywood about 2 years ago.  The owner re-did the floors and restored the original hardwood... "My own little gem!", I like to think of it as.

Everything was workable.  The old cupboards, the ugly drapes-- it could all be fixed to fierceness.  The one thing I couldn't figure out is how to re-work the bathroom, but moreso the nasty tile situation in the bath/shower.

Back in the day when they grouted it, they chose a sandy color in between the bright white tiles.  Over the years, it has turned into quite the less-than-chic dusty mustard hue. 



No matter how much I cleaned it, my shower never felt clean.

"Re-grout!" I thought.  "Let's regrout the shower."  So, I began one of the messier projects I've done and went apreshit with bright white grout.  It seemed like a genius idea.



However, re-grouting is only useful if the existing grout is not flush with the tile.  If I thought it through prior to going apeshit, I may have realized this.

Alas.

I came up with one of the best and easiest ways to make old tile grout look brand new. 

Paint it.

This sounds like a horrible idea, but it's a fun, messy project that's actually really easy.  Use your fingers, and massage the paint into the grout.  If you get paint on the tile, it's fine, as just like grout it will wipe off with some spray and a cloth.

Check out the BEFORE and AFTER.


BEFORE

AFTER

AFTER

AFTER

No comments:

Post a Comment