Friday, January 25, 2013

Mad Men stole my couch.

So, my girlfriend has been kind enough to appoint me her honorary Decorator.  Not only do I get to be uber-creative and employ my [frugal] decorating aptitude, but I get commission in lots of ways.  Winky face.

I decided I like our [her] couch much better when it's covered in my grandpa's bright yellow blanket from the 60's.  The canary yellow hue makes me happy, and I'm really into monotone in design with a pop of one additional color.  Here, it's a teal/turquoise/robin's egg pop.



We bought our couch for $600 on craigslist about a year ago. 



It's cute, mid-century lines-tastic, and simple with its heather-gray hue, but since my girlfriend has let me go apeshit down the eclectic-happy-chic road, I figured... fuck it.  Who needs gray?  Let's go not-so-mellow yellow. 

So, alas, I found this awesome newly upholstered beauty from Michael, my fave "secret spot" furniture dealer.  3 pieces, $1550.  So, I put an ad for our old couch on craigslist for $400, and thought, "Perfect; I'll put the money toward the new fierce yellow couch of amazing-ness."


 
"Sold," I said to the furniture people.  I'll get it as a prezzie for my girlfriend (and, let's be honest, for me) this Friday when I get paid.  "Should I put some money down, or something?
"Don't worry," they told me. 
"It'll be fine til Friday.  Honestly, who's going to buy a bright yellow couch?"

I texted Michael the next day.  "We've decided on the couch.  I'll for sure come get it Friday."
I then received the following text.

"Mad Men bought your couch."

Awesome.
                    

2 comments: